Programs & Services

Fort Selden

Established in 1865 in an effort to bring peace to south central New Mexico.

Fort Selden was built in the Mesilla Valley in 1865 to protect settlers and travelers from escalating hostilities as settlers encroached on the Mescalero Apache homelands. Fort Selden housed the famous Buffalo Soldiers, the name given to African American regiments by the Native Americans.

In 1880, the Chiricahua Apache leader Geronimo fled the confines of the San Carlos Reservation in Arizona to launch the final years of the Apache Wars. The military, fearing the worst, reoccupied Fort Selden, which they had abandoned just two years earlier.

During the next decade, Fort Selden was the home of a boy who would become a famous warrior himself — Douglas MacArthur, whose father was post commander. By 1890, hostilities had calmed, and in 1891, troops again were withdrawn from the fort.

New Mexico CulturePass

Your ticket to 15 exceptional Museums and Historic Sites. From Indian treasures to space exploration, world-class folk art to awesome dinosaurs—our museums and monuments celebrate the essence of New Mexico every day.
More Info »

Featured DCA Exhibitions

Setting the Standard: The Fred Harvey Company and Its Legacy

Focusing on the rise of the Fred Harvey Company as a family business and events that transpired specifically in the Land of Enchantment, the exhibition will leave visitors with an understanding of how the Harvey experience resonates in our Southwest today.
more »

FossilWorks

The process of extracting dinosaur fossils from the rock matrix that has encased them for millions of years is featured in the FossilWorks exhibit at the Museum.
more »

Alcoves 16/17

Alcoves 16/17 is a series of seven rotations over the course of a year which will include thirty-five artists in total from across New Mexico. Each rotation will include five artists who will show for seven weeks,
more »

The Cowboy Way: Drawings by Robert "Shoofly" Shufelt

The first artwork ever to be displayed at the New Mexico Farm & Ranch Heritage Museum belonged to Robert “Shoofly” Shufelt. Fifteen years after he graciously loaned some of his lithographs for a temporary exhibit, Shufelt and his wife, Julie, donated his collection to the museum for a long-term exhibition.
more »